Hi, Debbie Raymond here, Adornit editor. For this month’s Beginner Basics, I’m spotlighting the Nancy Jane collection from Adornit. What a cute idea to name a scrapbook paper collection after great-grandma Nancy Jane. That’s just what Carolee did when she designed this adorable and varied collection. I couldn’t resist using some of the papers and stickers for my layout with a couple of Mother’s Day photos – mainly because I wanted you to see how special and unique these papers are. And I also want to help you see how you can expand the possibilities of each paper by cutting it apart and switching around the graphic elements.
The folk-art look is really ‘in’ right now and who better to create papers with this look than the founder of Adornit – Carolee’s Creations, Carolee McMullin. She is a wonderful artist and one of the most creative people I know. You know, she started her business in the Tole Painting industry – and was in great demand as a teacher and designer. Being a savvy businesswoman too, Carolee saw the decline of decorative painting (about 13 years ago) and switched her creative energy to scrapbooking. She was one of the first to create scrapbooking product. She can tell stories of the early trade shows – and those pioneers who brought us this hobby that we now enjoy so much. I love looking through the “old stuff” to see how her company has evolved, and I am constantly amazed by the steady stream of creative ideas Carolee has – still after over twenty two years in the business(es).
One of the stand-out features of Adornit ‘s graphic design is the use of original hand-drawn art. When they are designing product, Carolee or Tami or Alison (our graphic designers) whip out a sheet of paper and sketch an image, scan it into the computer – then the next thing you know, there it is on a sticker, ribbon or paper. It’s magic. Following are some of my favorite papers with hand-drawn designs. Grandma Nancy Jane would have been proud!
• Start with a base of Loopy Ovals. Trim a sheet of Pink Spatters to 10 ¾” x 10 ¾” and adhere centered over the base. Trim a sheet of Blue Oval Plaid to 10 ½” x 10 ½” and adhere over Pink Spatters so that a narrow edge of pink shows all the way around.
• Trim the border stripes from Tweety Bird Swirls. Cut out the birds, heart and green flourish. Cut the remainder of the blue to a 10 ½” x 6” rectangle.
• Adhere photos to blue piece, then layer and adhere cut-out pieces as shown. Add sticker flowers where desired. NOTE: I used flowers from the I Love Mum Cardstock Stickers because I love the daisies and the black color on my layout – but you could alternatively use the coordinating Nancy Jane’s Love Cardstock Stickers.
• Add a title using the swirly stamp from Thanks Label clear stamps stamped on white cardstock. Spell out words with Flirtatious Tiny Alphabet Stickers (I just used the black and white letters).
• You will want to make a coordinating layout because there is so much to choose from in this collection!
Adornit Supply List
22091 Tweety Bird Swirls 12x12
22094 Pink Spatters 12x12
22106 Loopy Ovals 12x12
22108 Blue Oval Plaid 12x12
91391 I Love Mum Cardstock Stickers OR
91392 Nancy Jane’s Love Cardstock Stickers
91396 Flirtatious Tiny Alphabet Stickers
90101 Thanks Label Clear Stamp Set